Holiday decorating is not complete without a festive wreath, so create your own using your Baby Lock serger! Create burlap ribbon using a decorative overlock stitch, then wrap it up to create this festive and trendy burlap wreath. So simple and fun you will want to make one for every occasion!
Serge your own burlap ribbon wreath to decorate your door this holiday season!
Skill Level: Beginner
Created by: Kelly Laws, Baby Lock Marketing Project Manager
- Baby Lock® serger
- 1 Spool serger thread
- 2 Spools decorative serger thread
- Wreath wire frame
- 2 yard of burlap fabric yardage
- Floral wire
- Needle nose pliers/cutters
- Floral pick(s)
- Set up the serger for a 3-thread wide stitch or a wave stitch. Using the decorative serger thread in the upper and lower loopers.
- Cut the Burlap into 6” wide strips. Serge the strips end to end to make a long ribbon.
- Test serge a scrap piece of burlap. Shorten your stitch length so the thread has a satin stitch look giving the appearance that ribbon is on the edge of the burlap.
- Once the stitch length is set for best results for the decorative thread and weave of the burlap you are using, begin to serge. Serge along the long edges of the strips. Remember to do both long edges.
- Gather the end of a burlap strip and tie it onto the wire wreath frame to hold the end in place while you start the wreath.
- To create the wreath you are going to alternate between weaving the burlap between the wires of the wreath frame and pulling up loops of burlap.
- Pull a loop of burlap strip through the wires of the wreath frame. Lift the loop and fluff it out to the size you want the wreath to be (approximately 2 or 3 inches).
- Pull the next loop up through the next opening in the wires. Repeat back and forth until you completely hide the wire frame sliding the loops together to make space on the frame for more loops. Fluff, shape and adjust the wreath as you go to make your wreath look even.
- Use floral wire if needed to secure any sections of wreath that want to slide.
- Attach the floral picks to the wreath by wrapping the stem and securing with floral wire to the wire wreath frame.