Mermaid skirts are one of the hottest accessories of the season! If your daughter or grand-daughter is obsessed with all things mermaid, then this is the quick Mermaid Skirt project you’ve been waiting for!
Once you get the hang of making this adorable Mermaid Skirt, you’ll be making them for all her friends. Plus, you can make them a little longer and add some elastic at the top — viola, a mermaid swimsuit cover!
- Baby Lock® Sewing Machine
- Baby Lock® Serger (optional)
- Less than a yard of stretchy knit fabric (For most children’s sizes)
- Ball point needles for sewing machine
- Baby Lock Ruffling Foot (SA122 – optional)
For the quickest construction, use a ruffling foot to gather the fabric for the bottom skirt ruffle and a serger to sew the three seams. Of course, you can gather the skirt ruffle without a ruffling foot and you can sew the seams with your regular machine – and still finish in less than 30 minutes. Be sure to use ball-point needles on your machines and a zig-zag stitch if you use a regular sewing machine.