By Lisa Knight
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
CREATE THIS ADORABLE DRESS USING YOUR BABY LOCK MACHINES. DOWNLOAD THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE.
- Baby Lock Sewing Machine or Serger/Cover stitch Serger
- Baby Lock Open Toe Foot optional
- Audrey dress pattern from Violette Field Threads
- Cotton fabric for the appropriate dress size
- Fabric to be cut and sewn as directed in the pattern
- Lightweight fusible interfacing
- 1 spool of coordinating Madeira sewing
- Clover Clips
- Pattern marking pen, chalk
- Cutting mat and rotary cutter or fabric scissors
- Pins or Fabric weights
- Printing paper and printer to print patterns or if you have tried projector sewing files.
- Purchase and download the Audrey Dress Pattern.
- Choose the size based on child’s measurements.
- Print and assemble the pattern following the pattern instruction.
Pro-Tip: Pre-wash the fabric prior to cutting out the dress pattern.
- Cut the fabric pieces according to the pattern instructions
- Set up your machine with matching bobbin thread and upper thread using a 70/12 needle.
- Assemble dress according to the pattern directions.
Pro-Tip: Try using Clover Clips instead of pins whenever possible.
- This pattern calls for the seams to be sewn at ½” If you have a machine that has a guideline market, set it to ½” from the needle. Use your pins or clips to align the shoulder seams, press your seams open. Repeat this for the bodice lining.
- With right sides together match seams on bodice sew as instructed in the pattern. Clip curves then trim to a quarter inch. Turn to right the side press and topstitch the neck edge. Following the patterns instructions.
Pro-Tip: Try using the R foot to help you to position your topstitching.
- Attach the flutter sleeves according to the pattern instructions. Then sew the side seams according to pattern instructions.
- Sew all the skirt pieces together. If you own a serger, serge the seams for a more professional finish.
- Sew the circle skirt together. Again, for a more professional finish serge or zigzag these seam edges.
- Press up a 1/4 “ and fold over one more time to create the hem on the bottom skirt piece. Trim out a portion of the seam allowance to help the hem lay out more smoothly.
- Set your machine stitch length to the longest and to create gather stitches follow the pattern instructions. Gather the bottom tier of skirt to the circle skirt then gather the circle skirt to the bodice.
- Once the skirt is gathered, sew it to the bodice to the skirt.
- Now you are going to add your button placket. The pattern does not call for fusible interfacing, but I feel that it is necessary to give enough body to the placket for the buttonholes.
- Most Baby Lock sewing machines offer a 1-step buttonhole stitch as well as a button sewing stitch. These help to elevate you garment construction skills.