Creating a stunning Poinsettia Pillow, just like those seen at high-end boutiques, in just one evening with this easy sewing project from Baby Lock. Use your sewing machine to make elegant home decor projects that will leave others in aw!
- Baby Lock Sewing Machine
- ¾ yard of tan 60” wide linen fabric
- 1 yard of ultra-firm white stabilizer
- The Sewing Revolution ruler, 5/7 positioning divisions
- Frixion marking pen
- Soft white embroidery thread
- Silver and off-white large beads or balls for poinsettia center
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 22” square pillow insert
- Begin by printing copies of the poinsettia petals patterns; one pattern of each size petal. Cut out the petal patterns.
- Using the Frixion marking pen and poinsettia petal patterns, draw five of each sized petal onto the white stabilizer. Cut out all fifteen petals.
- Fold each petal in half and gently press. The Frixion outline markings will disappear when the petals are pressed.
- For the pillow’s front and back, cut two panels from the linen fabric, 23” x 23”. Set the pillow back aside for now.
- Mark the center of the pillow top. Place the 5/7 positioning ruler in the center of the pillow top, divide and mark five points for the petal placement.
- Take the five largest petals and mark each petal 5 ½” from the petal base, along the fold line.
- Place one of the large petals on the pillow top; with the base of the petal about ½” from the center mark and the tip of the petal aligned with one of the marks on the pillow top.
- Thread the sewing machine with soft white embroidery thread and select a triple-stitch straight stitch.
- Stitch the first petal to the pillow top, beginning sewing at the petal’s 5 ½” mark, stitch along the fold line, to the base of the petal. Repeat until all of the large petals are sewn to the pillow top.
- Again, divide and mark the pillow top into 5 divisions, slightly off center of the first set of petals.
- Mark the second set of large petals on the folded line 5” from the petal’s base. Stitch the petals to the pillow top in the same manner as described in step 9.
- Mark the small set of petals on the fold line, 3 ½” from each petal’s base. Stitch the small petals to the pillow top, centering each petal between the larger petals.
- With right sides facing, place the pillow top and pillow back together, pin securely. Stitch the pillow top and back together, using a ½” seam allowance. Allow approximately a 10” opening for turning out the right-sides of the pillow.
- Carefully turn out the pillow top and insert the pillow form.
- Tuck the remaining seams inside of the pillow and hand-stitch the remaining seam closed.
- Glue the sparkly balls to the center of the pillow using a hot glue gun.
- Spot clean the pillow as needed.